Wednesday, February 17, 2010

EXERCISE & MOTIVATION: NEWSLETTER ISSUE 1 ARTICLE 1

Exercise and Motivation

I usually go for a 30 minute run every morning. I do not particularly enjoy it but I am starting to realise why I do it. As the snow started I came down with a cough. Needing to use my voice in peace and quiet for my work I have not been running to try and lose the cough as quickly as possible. This ties in nicely with the vast amounts of snow outside!

I have noticed however that since not running I have felt tired and unmotivated. I often set my clients that suffer with stress and depression a weekly routine that involves lots of walking. I do this because I know how exercise can help lift the mood and increase motivation but why is this?

For a start exercise gets you up and out of the house. Personally I usually get up at 7.30am so that I can go for my run, get home showered and have breakfast in time to be sitting at my desk for 9am. With no run I do not need to get out of bed until, well it appears 8.45am. Although my alarm has been set for 8am the lack of exercise is making me tired and I am struggling to get up. With a run part of my day I get up at 7.30am without fail.

During my run I get to see the world. I run to the top of a hill so when running back down I have a nice view of the North Downs in front of me. Sometimes there is a beautiful blue sky other times it is raining but even the rain does not put me down as I know I will be jumping straight into the shower when I get home. Running in the rain can actually be quite liberating. If you are not one for the weather though going to the gym can allow you to have time to just be with yourself.

Exercise causes the brain to release serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine and endorphins. Serotonin acts as a neurotransmitter, a type of chemical that helps relay signals from one area of the brain to another. Because of the widespread distribution of its cells, it is believed to influence a variety of psychological and other body functions. Of the approximately 40 million brain cells, most are influenced either directly or indirectly by serotonin. This includes brain cells related to mood, sexual desire and function, appetite, sleep, memory and learning, temperature regulation, and some social behaviour.

Dopamine is another neurotransmitter and is essential to the normal running of the central nervous system. Tests have been done to show that when we consider alternative options whilst making real-life decisions, dopamine has a role in signalling the expected pleasure from those possible future events. We then use that signal to make our choices. Dopamine therefore plays an important role in our decision making but also our expected pleasure. When dopamine is released, it provides feelings of enjoyment and reinforcement, and motivates us to do or continue doing certain activities.

Norepinephrine is both a hormone and neurotransmitter. As a hormone it works alongside adrenaline to give the body sudden energy in times of stress. As a neurotransmitter it passes nerve impulses from one neuron to the next. Norepinephrine can increase alertness, increase reaction times, increase concentration and decrease drowsiness.

Endorphins are the body’s natural pain killers that also produce a positive mood state and reduce stress. When a nerve impulse reaches the spinal cord, endorphins are released which prevent nerve cells from releasing more pain signals. Immediately after injury, endorphins allow humans to feel a sense of power and control over themselves that allows them to persist with activity for an extended time. It is the effect of endorphin production that is known as the ‘runner’s high’.

It is easy to see that during exercise when these chemicals are produced our mood is lifted and we become motivated. The lack of norepinephrine in the body could contribute to the tiredness one experiences when having a break from a usually steady exercise regime. It is really important to make exercise a big part of our lives for more than just weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment